Camp at Merck
Due to circumstances beyond our control,
cabins, shelters and campsites are available only on the weekends.
A unique year-round rustic wilderness experience in the Taconic range, featuring diverse landscapes and breathtaking views.
Rustic Cabins are fully enclosed and equipped with a wood-burning stove, wooden bunks, and a nearby outhouse. There is neither indoor plumbing nor electricity. Candles must not be used in or near any cabin or outhouse.
Three lean-to shelters available for overnight rentals. Lean-tos have three walls, a roof, a nearby outhouse and a fire ring. For obvious reasons, candles must not be used inside the shelters.
- Reservations are required for all overnight stays.
- Payment is due upon reserving a site. We accept all major credit cards.
- Reservations can be made up to one year in advance on our website.
- Ten-day notice is required for refunds. A $20 fee will be levied for changes within 10 days of stay, or for multiple reservation changes.
- Reservation deposits may be applied to re-bookings within a six-month window.
- No refunds will be issued because of inclement weather.
12:00 pm Check-In
Note: Campsites are remote and campers must hike up to 3 miles with gear to get to their site. All members of your party must be capable of this degree of physical exertion. (A suggestion: pack light!)
- No vehicles are allowed beyond the Visitor’s Center parking area.
- Please check in at the Visitor’s Center upon arrival; campers arriving after hours should sign in at the trailhead kiosk.
12:00 pm Check-Out
- All trash must be carried out.
- Please be kind to campers following you and leave a small amount of dry wood and kindling.
Cabins: Please respect our cabins and help keep them clean. Brooms and dustpans are provided for each cabin.
- For your own safety, all water from our property should be treated.
- Campsites may have nearby streams or springs, but they are not dependably safe to drink.
- The water pump located in the Small Animal Barn (at the farm) functions 12 months a year.
- Carry in and carry out all trash and all personal belongings.
- Dogs are welcome, but must be leashed around the farm and Visitor’s Center.
- No visitors or pets are allowed in pastures, unless escorted by MFFC staff.
- Build fires in fire rings and wood stoves only. For obvious reasons, candles must not be used in or near any cabins or outhouses.
- Wood stoves are not for cooking: instead, please use your camp stove for cooking.
- From October through April, firewood is supplied for heating the cabins only — not for fueling outdoor campfires. Collect and use downed branches for your outdoor campfire.
- No off-property wood may be brought onto Merck Forest property.
- Bicycles and other vehicles are not allowed beyond the Visitor’s Center.
- Firearms are not allowed at any campsite, shelter or cabin, except for during rifle and black powder seasons, and then only in the Hunting Zone.
Use these suggestions only as a guideline: factor in weather conditions and the length of your stay when packing. Remember that you are not permitted to drive to your campsite, so pack as lightly as possible.